Saturday, December 10, 2011

In Moderation

A year ago I posted a somewhat sarcastic entry railing against those joyless people who complain about the calories in holiday goodies. I still stand by that sarcasm. If you don't want the calories, then don't eat the goodies; but shut up about it already. Sheesh.

So far this holiday season, I have been enjoying coffee cake, pumpkin spice lattes, peppermint mochas, hot buttered rums, candy cane cookies, a piece of See's Candies here and there...all in moderation of course. Actually, on some days, I haven't been eating in moderation. The difference between this year and last year, though, is that I get right back on plan starting with the next meal. Even a year ago, this would not have occurred to me. I would have chalked up my overindulgence to the holiday season and would have given up even trying to moderate my food intake.

This year, however, I am more conscious of my food intake and that moderation means I don't have to eat everything that comes my way. For example, on a day like today I am refraining from all Christmas goodies (except maybe a hot buttered rum later on) because I know that tomorrow I will be indulging in yummy goodies at our church's Christmas party for special needs families.

Another motivating factor is the fact that I can look back at my Weight Loss Journal and actually see my progress. Do I want to blow all of my hard work and go back to how I was last Christmas? No. No I don't. I enjoy going to stores knowing that I can find the style of clothing that I want in my size. On Thursday, I went to Kohl's because I had one of their coupons and I bought myself a new T-shirt and a sweater...in size Small! Do I want to go back to how I was last year? No. No I don't. Moderation does not equal deprivation, but it does require some self-control. It's not easy and some days I blow it. But I remember that getting back on track right away is the key to long-term success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...