Tuesday, February 15, 2011

BFD - February '11

Since February's BFD was on Valentine's Day, I wanted to do something sort of special, but to be honest, I couldn't think of what. Hubby had to work until 7:00 so really, it was just going to be me and the boys for dinner. I needed something (dare I say it) kid-friendly and interesting. I figured that since last month's stuffed chocolate croissants were a hit I would do well if I continued with the stuffed theme. For this month's BFD we had:

  • Stuffed French Toast (here and here)
  • Crock-pot Apple Granola Breakfast Cobbler
  • Home Fries

The french toast was stuffed with cream cheese and seedless blackberry preserves. Yum.  Now, why do I have two links for the Stuffed French Toast? The first recipe from AllRecipes.com listed 5 eggs in the ingredients. In my opinion, that's too many and I would be setting myself up for that eggy taste, which I hate (on my french toast that is.) So, I used the batter recipe from the second link, FoodNetwork.com, and even then I reduced the eggs to just one. Aside from that I think the All Recipes stuffed french toast recipe is pretty good, however, I did add honey to the cream cheese. Topped with powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup this was yummalicious! Did you notice the heart shape? :-)

It goes without saying that I was dying to make a recipe from my crock-pot cookbook that I got for Christmas. So, I chose to make the Crock-pot Apple Granola Breakfast Cobbler. This was very good, however, I was expecting a little more crunch. I think the next time I make this I will add the granola mid-way through cooking. As it is, I sprinkled granola on top as a garnish and then topped it off with a dollop of Zoi Greek Honey Yogurt. Yum!

The home fries? Well, what can I say? They were the standard diced and peeled potatoes coated with oil, seasoned with salt and Sweet Mesquite Seasoning and baked in the oven. They were a request from the kids. All in all, a very good breakfast for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. The french toast looks great and the added touch of it being in a heart was very special. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought heart-shaped bread was perfect. Of course, do you think anyone noticed? No. I had to point this out to all the boys. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...