Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Confessions of a Gluten Free Backslider

I feel better when I eat gluten free.  Not only my body feels better but my mood is better when I'm gluten free.  I don't have to deal with the debilitating abdominal pain, the flatulence that can power a small car, and the never-ending diarrhea.  I'll spare you the gory details.  The problem is that I don't always experience these symptoms whenever I choose to eat “regular” bread; at least not at first.  I could say that it's a crapshoot, but that would be too obvious.  Let's just say that these symptoms are unpredictable.  Life is definitely better being gluten free.  But...

The sad truth is that where taste is concerned, gluten free foods often just don't measure up.  This is especially true of gluten free bread.   And quite frankly, the price is often prohibitively expensive.  Don't get me wrong: I love the Tinkyada pasta, the Glutino pretzels, and the Kinnikinnick donuts.  But the bread...not so much.  Even homemade gluten free bread is just shy of being disappointing.  I've gotten to the point where I can make really good gluten free muffins, coffee cake, cupcakes, and pancakes.  However, really good gluten free sandwich bread eludes me and this annoys me because I love bread.  Especially sourdough bread. I have yet to find a gluten free bread that even approaches sourdough.  Herein lies my problem and my confession.

Fairly recently a new restaurant/bakery opened up near where I live: Boudin.  It just so happens that Boudin's specialty is San Francisco sourdough.  San Francisco sourdough.  Be still my beating heart.  To make matters worse, we get coupons from Boudin.  Buy one get one free coupons.  On the one hand I say, “Get thee behind me, Satan!”  On the other hand I say, “Honey, do you want to go to Boudin for date night? We have a coupon.”

Pathetic?  Yes.
Deserves every symptom I get?  Absolutely.
Willing to give up sourdough?  Not quite there yet.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...