Friday, December 2, 2011

Countdown to Christmas

So, in yesterday's post, I probably gave the impression that I don't like to have any fun at Christmas. Nothing could be further from the truth. I do, however, believe that a religious holiday should have some religious expression and that its meaning should be impressed upon the children...in a fun way, of course!

This year we're doing a countdown to Christmas. I've never had an Advent calendar, but I made one of my own sort of. Technically, Advent started on Sunday, November 27th, so I can't exactly call my calendar an Advent calendar. I got the idea from one of those crafty magazines that I can't remember the name of. (As an aside, the hubs and I often have a cheap date night at Barnes & Noble where he reads his comics and I read my magazines. No comments, please.) In the picture you can see or at least imagine 24 little red and green bags each of which have a number on it. When each number is unrolled, there is a Bible verse for the day. Inside each bag are two treats - one for each of my boys. I can't pass up an opportunity for sweets. See, I know how to have fun. (cough)

But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.  Luke 1:30-32

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...