Friday, October 7, 2011

MNO

Once a month I am blessed to be able to go out for an evening and visit with some wonderful women who just also happen to be moms with special needs children - this is Mom's Night Out. There are the regulars (of which I am one) who try to make it every month. Then there are others who make it less frequently.

Sometimes the evening is filled with so much laughter that I have tears in my eyes. Other times, the mood might be a little heavy. Sometimes one or two or three or more of us are going through a rough patch either at home or at school. No matter what the situation is we all know that we can share our struggles without fear of being judged or misunderstood. These moms "get it". They've been there. They've done that. There is nothing you could say that would shock us. They know that normal is just a setting on the dryer so to speak.

At the risk of sounding like a 1960's folk song, I will say that everyone needs to feel as though someone understands them. Loneliness, confusion, and frustration stem from thinking that you are the only one experiencing this - whether it's an autistic child with behaviors or a child with global delays who struggles to hit the developmental milestones. That's not to say that we don't have friends with typical children. We do. But honestly, sometimes it's hard to relate particularly when things are rough at home. Speaking from experience, I was ecstatic to find others like me. This didn't change my situation; however, it did give me a powerful sense of knowing that I am not alone. That my friends, is priceless. So to all of my MNO buddies: I hope you know just how much you all mean to me.

"Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice."  Proverbs 27:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...