Thursday, October 13, 2011

BFD - October '11

Apples or pumpkins? It's hard to choose, so why not have both. For this month's BFD we had:

Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pumpkin Smoothie
Assorted Fresh Fruit

I've done cinnamon rolls before and nothing beats homemade cinnamon rolls. But, I wanted something a little different this time around. When I found the recipe for Apple Cinnamon Rolls I thought, "Perfect!" We have tons of apples from our visit to semi-local orchards a couple of weeks ago and I've been dying to bake something with apples.

The instructions are pretty self-explanatory. I did not have RapidRise yeast, so I used regular yeast and had the dough sit for an hour. My apple cinnamon rolls don't look as soft and gooey because I use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour. Also, I only made half of the recipe and this yielded 12 rolls. Well, I should clarify that I cut the dough portion in half but kept the same amount of apples. You should generously grease the baking pan as these are sticky. IMO, these cinnamon rolls should be called "Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls". Seriously. In fact, that's what I told my kids they were called.

I considered the pumpkin smoothie recipe to be a starting point. I did make some modifications, so here is my version:

Pumpkin Banana Smoothie  (Serves 4)

1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 banana
1 cup light vanilla soy milk
1 cup 1% milk
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional...my husband requested this)
A handful of ice cubes
Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.

First, while I love pumpkin I didn't want it to be the overwhelming taste, so I reduced it. Second, since I wasn't adding alot of additional sweetener, I decided to add a banana and substitute light vanilla soy milk for 1/2 of the milk. (Vanilla almond milk works, too.) If it's too thick, then add a little more milk or soy milk until you get the right consistency. Third, I did not freeze the pumpkin puree so I added a handful of ice cubes to make it frosty. This was my favorite. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...