Monday, May 17, 2010

Shorthand Hell

You've seen them.  I know you have because they're everywhere.  They're inescapable and they can be annoying or amusing depending on your mood.  Here is just a small sample of them:

LOL  IEP  TTFN  DS  WIFI  HD  ADHD  ROFLOL ASAP  CP  OTOH  BTW  PS  WTH   PDD-NOS  IBS  IRS  DH  ATM  FYI  LMAO  BFF  SAHM  TMI  IMHO  VI  OCD RTFM  DD  FB  ASD  IM  OMG  and WTF

I use some of these.  Frankly it's easier for the writer to use shorthand, but sometimes readers have to rack their brains to decode them.  Well, at least I do, so maybe it's just me.  Every time I see “ROFLOL” in an email, my brain automatically translates it to “Rolling on the floor laughing out loud”.  I get it; I really do.  Shorthand saves on space.  Nobody wants to type "Rolling on the floor laughing out loud" in response to every good joke.  Seriously, it takes up too much space, too much time and it's just not cool.  Sometimes though, shorthand can be overused or overdone.  For example (to be read with a sense of humor):

BTW, just FYI, your BFF is an OCD SAHM who IMHO is ADHD or maybe PDD-NOS, but definitely ASD  with IBS because of the IRS or DS and DH. OMG, seriously TMI!  Which may leave some of you thinking: WTF or WTH?  

If you need help translating the above shorthand, or you just want to expand your savvy coolness, then check out Netlingo.  IMHO, parents of texting tweens and teens should check it out.

PS: I'm so glad that "IMHO" doesn't have an "A" in between the "M" and the "H".  That could be awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...