Friday, May 21, 2010

When "Good Enough" is Really "Half-Assed"

It's a bit of a challenge trying to convey to my children when "good enough" is OK and when it's not.  I've had to think of times in my life when I've settled for good enough.  Sometimes it was with relief or pride and other times it was tinged with guilt or defiance.  So, I came up with a loose definition of "good enough" based on my experience.

Good enough is good enough when you have run out of time and resources, yet you still use what you have to make a workable solution until you're able to replenish your resources.  In other words, you're able to make do with what you've got.

Good enough is half-assed when you clearly have the time and the resources, yet apathy and/or laziness take over your motivation.  You may produce a workable solution, but it does not live up to your present level of capability nor does it take advantage of your resources.  In other words, you could have done better but chose not to.

Works for me.  Now if I can only break it down so that my kids will get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...