Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Off to a Great Start

I have to say that 2012 is starting off with a bang...literally and figuratively. The first full weekend of the new year was spent on the beautiful Mendocino coast. The second full weekend of the new year was spent cleaning up after a car accident from which, miraculously, everyone walked away.

It all started on Saturday night: we were on a late schedule as it was because we volunteered at the 4:15 service at our church and then attended the 6:00 service. By the time we got home, it was almost quarter to eight and I hurried to get dinner on the table because I hate eating dinner after 6:00pm. Bedtime for our youngest is around 8:30 but this was pushed back because of a late dinner. Although our oldest doesn't go to sleep at 9:00 he does have to go to his room at 9:00 so hubby and I can finally have some alone time and some peace and quiet. He took advantage of the late schedule and was dawdling. Finally, shortly after 9:10 we got the boys to their rooms. My husband had just put the dog in his crate and I was in our room getting ready to select Downton Abbey on Netflix when I heard BANG! I knew exactly what that was because I've heard it before: a car collision. What I wasn't expecting was a second BANG!!!! followed by the sound of shattering glass. I headed toward the front door with cell phone in hand getting ready to dial 911 when I realized I was walking on broken glass, barefoot, of course. Shit! Even then, it didn't register that my dining room window had been smashed.

I raced outside to view the accident and call 911, and instead of seeing two cars near each other, I saw one car in the intersection and this car, which had spun out of control and plowed through the sound wall next to my house:


Chunks of the sound wall went flying through the air demolishing our wood fence and breaking our dining room window. To say that I was dazed and confused is an understatement, but I had the presence of mind and the inspiration to run back inside and, what else? Post a message on Facebook with a call for help and prayers. I have mixed feelings about Facebook, but I'll tell you what, it's so much easier and more efficient to post one message that will be viewed by many people rather than make many phone calls delivering one message to many people. Here is what I posted:

Prayers, please! An accident outside our house, hit the sound wall and did some damage to our house. Nervous wreck over here!

I got responses immediately like within seconds. Props to my friends who sent their husbands over to my house late that night to help us board up our window and create a makeshift fence to prevent my youngest son and my dog from getting out. And props to all my friends who lifted up me and my family in prayer. I heart my village!

This was the view the following morning:


The truly miraculous thing was that the drivers and the passengers in both cars were able to walk away. Seriously.

Oh, and the glass cross with the broken base in the first picture? My friend's husband found that on the ground next to the car that went through the sound wall. Coincidence? I don't think so. God was there that night, folks. And that assurance tells me that 2012 is off to a great start. If you pray, I'm going to ask you to pray for the young driver and passenger of the car that went through the sound wall - maybe prayers for wisdom and a lesson learned. And pray that things go smoothly for us during the insurance claims and clean up process. Thanks in advance. Happy New Year!

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...