Wednesday, January 25, 2012

BFD - January '12

So, I missed BFD last month because in all honesty, I forgot about it until right after Christmas. By then, I was done with cooking so I let the month pass by with no BFD. I'm making up for it this month, though, since it's the start of a brand new year and all. I wanted something fancy, or at least fancy-sounding. Cheesecake. Yes. Say "cheesecake" and I'm all over it. So this month we're having:

Spinach, Mushroom and Gruyere Cheesecake
Salad, and I use the term loosely

I found this recipe in my KitchenAid 75th Anniversary Recipe Book, and I've been wanting to try it for years - years, I tell you. Since I couldn't take a decent picture of the recipe from the book, I found an online recipe that looks to be the same. The book does say that you can substitute Swiss cheese for Gruyere cheese. (Isn't Gruyere a Swiss cheese? :-) Anyway, I decided to splurge and I bought real Philadelphia cream cheese and real Gruyere cheese. Holy Toledo! I am so glad I did.

As the kids say, this was awesomesauce! (Just kidding! I really don't know what the kids say these days.) I love cheesecake no matter what and 3 out of 4 of us loved this. A savory cheesecake is just as delicious as a dessert cheesecake. I guess this one is more for brunch. It was a bit time consuming but honestly, I should have done some things the night before like: slice the mushrooms, shred the cheese, make the bread crumbs, and thaw the frozen spinach. Oh well, I'll remember next time. I also had some trouble with my springform pan so I ended up using a 9x9 square pan to make cheesecake squares. There was quite a bit of cream cheese batter leftover, so next time I'll cut the recipe by 1/3, or I'll bake it in a 9x13 pan.

The salad? Nothing special. I had some romaine lettuce, baby spinach, mini sweet peppers, and Fuji apples. I sprinkled some shredded Gruyere on top and called it good. Honestly, folks, if you like cheesecake then give this one a try. And seriously, splurge and go for the Gruyere cheese. You really can eat cheesecake for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...