Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Goodwill Hunting

So, the size 12 (ahem) jeans of which I spoke in the previous post only cost me $6.99...at the Goodwill. That's right, you heard me, at the Goodwill. The Goodwill of today is not the Goodwill of my long ago childhood.

You see, when I was a kid growing up in the 70s, it seemed like all of the thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, whatever) were in reality the final resting place or burial grounds, if you will, for all of the weird, pathetic rejects from the 60s. Or 50s. Or 40s. And I'm not talking about "vintage clothing" here. I'm talking about the stuff that would make you turn your head and say, "What was their mama smokin'?"

Nowadays, though, it's almost kind of chic to shop at the Goodwill. Or at least, in my circle it is. I only have to look at the piles of nice clothing that I've donated to realize that other people are doing the same thing. Shopping at the Goodwill stores of today (or at least the ones in my area) is almost like shopping at Ross or Marshall's. If you are willing to scour the racks and go on a frequent basis, you can find some real bargains amidst the junk. This is good to know because when I do reach my final goal weight, and if I actually make it to a size 8 (wink wink), I know that shopping at the Goodwill can provide the transition clothing that I am too cheap to pay full price for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...