Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chunks of Spring Break

So, the kids are on spring break this week and that means I have to get them out of the house at least once a day until they go back to school on the 25th. OK, I don't have to get them out of the house, but it makes vacation time go alot smoother. Getting out of the house can be something simple like going to the library (which we did on Monday) or going to Target (which we'll do today). I need to do something to break up our long days.

While we are at home, my time is divided into chunks- 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. Occasionally, there is a 20 minute stretch. You see, while my oldest son can entertain himself with Legos, or by drawing, or playing his DS, my youngest son needs a bit more help to go from one activity to another. He will happily listen to his CDs one after the other; however, I need to change the CDs for him otherwise he might chew on them or use them as a makeshift hammer. He has several alphabet toys and loves to press the buttons to listen to each letter sound. On a couple of these toys, I used 3D fabric paint to create raised alphabet Braille dots on each letter button; however, he still wants me to help him find the right letter.

I don't mind any of this, much. Admittedly, there are days when my chore list seems far too long and my chunks of time are not enough to complete them. It can be frustrating to start a task and then be continually interrupted. I've had to learn to go with the flow; to do what I can within those chunks of time. That might mean it takes a half hour to fold laundry or that I need to prepare dinner a little at a time starting at 3:00. Or...oops. Time to change a CD. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...