Monday, March 28, 2011

The Long and the Short of It

My preteen has decided that he likes to wear his hair long. You know, like the skaters do. I try to gently remind him that he rides a scooter instead of a skateboard. Minor, trivial details. He likes the skater look. Fine.

Really, I'm okay with that. As long as he keeps his hair clean and neat, I really don't care how long his hair is - within reason. Because he has several cowlicks, his hair needs to be completely buzzed or it has to be a little longer so that the cowlicks have a chance to lay flat. Truth be told, he doesn't look that good with short hair, and personally, I'm not a big fan of the obvious DIY home haircut buzz cut.

In parenting, like other areas of life, it's wise to remember the phrase "Choose your battles." Not every thing is worth a fight or a raised voice. I'm more concerned with how he treats other people than I am with the length of his hair. His fashion sense, on the other hand, is a different story.

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...