Monday, December 27, 2010

Mixed Bag Holiday

This Christmas definitely had its highlights and lowlights. First, I was sick as a dog with the worst cold I've had in a while. Then, two days before Christmas, my oven decides to die. All I could think of was the thawing turkey in the fridge, the potatoes, the green beans, and the cheesecake squares that needed to be cooked...in the oven...for Christmas dinner...and we were hosting the in-laws. I did not swear half as much as I wanted to. My poor husband saw what it truly meant to have his wife flip out. Fortunately, it was his day off, so in an act of desperation, I asked him to go to Sear's just on the off chance that there would be a gas oven in stock. It was 1:30pm on December 23rd. We were scheduled to go to one of our church's Christmas services at 6:30, but we had to be there an hour early. This gave him less than four hours to find a parking space at the mall, hunt for, bring home, and set up a gas oven, get ready for church, and drive to church. How did he do?

Fortune may favor the bold, but I also think that luck favors the desperate. He found a primo parking spot in front of Sear's - a near-miracle for this time of year. He walks into the Sear's appliances department, tells the sales person what he wants, and then is told, "Sorry, we don't have that in stock." Then, perhaps in a moment of pity, the sales person tells him about another home furnishing store in the area that usually has a good selection of in-stock items. My husband then drives to this store, lays out the specs to the sales person only to be told, "You're in luck. We have it in stock." Score! It's almost 3:30pm when he comes home with the new oven. Buying it is one thing, getting it inside and setting it up is another; but it got done with time to spare. Ta Da!

All in all, it wasn't so bad and I lived through it. I am trying very hard to be grateful. It's difficult because we spent money that we didn't really have. On the flip side, I have wanted this oven for almost two years. (Maybe the old oven finally couldn't handle my hostility. :-) It has the burner knobs on top, which will make it intentionally difficult for my youngest son to reach; and it has double ovens. Luckily, it was also on sale - to the tune of nearly $500 off the original price. Also, since my husband worked on Christmas Day and will work on New Year's Day, that means overtime pay. We can put that money toward paying off the oven. When all is said and done, it should be paid for by the end of January. My new oven got put to good use on Christmas Day and I love the double ovens. I really wish I had been feeling better because I would have been a better cook. The turkey was a little dry and even though I made plenty of gravy, I felt bad. I decided to remedy that this evening by making some homemade leftover turkey pot pie goodness. Oh yeah, I love leftover turkey. It's hard to be grateful when you can find so many reasons to complain. I will choose to be grateful even when I don't want to. And I am grateful for turkey pot pies cooked in my new oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...