Friday, April 12, 2013

Follow-up EEG: Once More Unto the Breach

You may have read here and here that my youngest son had at least two seizures in the past 6 months. You may also have read here that when he had seizures as a baby and we did the ketogenic diet; but I'm getting ahead of myself. Over spring break, my youngest son had to do a 24 hour EEG. Surprisingly, he did very well. He pulled off the electrodes that were attached to his face near his ears, and he pulled off the electrodes attached to his collarbone. Aside from that, everything else remained intact.

Two days ago on Wednesday we met with the neurologist to go over the EEG results. Needless to say, the results were abnormal. Although dismayed, I was not surprised. Back in October, the doctor indicated that given his history, any EEG reading would most likely be abnormal. Although he did not have any seizures during that 24 hour period, the doctor indicated that my son was experiencing focal spikes. He was kind enough to print out the results for us and circled where the focal spikes were on the EEG readout page. Because of this, and because of my son's prior history of seizures, and because he is at risk for further seizures, the doctor recommended medication to prevent further seizures. The doctor recommended Keppra because it has fewer side effects involving liver function. It can, however, have unwanted behavioral side effects, a.k.a. "Kepprage". If we notice any behaviors, then we'll try something else.

I'll be honest: anti-seizure medications scare me, but so does the thought of seizures. For now it's another waiting game; waiting to see if the medication has unwanted side effects. We have a follow-up appointment in 3 months. In the meantime, I'm crushing up pills and trying to hide them in chocolate pudding. I feel like I missed my calling and should have been a pharmacist.☺

Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...