Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thanks for Noticing

For some reason, I was taught that it was rude to comment on someone's personal appearance. Don't ask me why. Other than making generic comments like, "That's a pretty blouse" or "That dress looks nice on you", my mother told me that commenting on someone's personal features was rude. I guess I can understand that some people might be extra sensitive about their appearance. Perhaps my mom went overboard in trying to teach me some manners in order to ensure that I would not be one of those people who blurted out things like, "What's up with your hair? It looks like s#!t?" Okay, I get it; a little restraint is necessary.

However, when one is working on improving one's personal appearance, it's always nice to hear compliments...like when one is losing weight. Ordinarily, I don't like alot of attention. But, I have to admit, I really appreciate it when someone says to me, "Wow, you've lost alot of weight!" Yes. Yes, I have. I can understand how easy it would be to get offended - after all, I'm still the same fun-loving person with the same sense of humor (cough)...I'm just 40lbs lighter. People shouldn't love me or hate me any more or less because of my weight.

If I actually cared what others thought I'm sure I could send myself into a tailspin; but, I don't. I'm doing this for myself and not for my appearance or the compliments. I'm doing this primarily to change my relationship with food, the result of which is a better looking appearance and peace of mind. Although people might compliment my outward appearance, it's good to know that I know that I'm changing on the inside, too. So thanks for noticing. I really do appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...