Monday, April 23, 2012

Daytripping: Springtime in Lake Tahoe

Yesterday was one of those days where, from the moment I woke up, I just knew that we had to get out of the house. I heard Lake Tahoe calling my name; I followed that call and was rewarded with a beautiful day by the beautiful blue lake.

Even the drive to Lake Tahoe was beautiful. On either side of the freeway we were surrounded by pine trees and snow. Yes, there's still snow in them thar hills this time of year, even though this year spring is turning out to be surprisingly warm. We ended up at Commons Beach, which is basically a park attached to a strip of beach. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, especially since there are facilities there. I cannot overemphasize the need for easily accessible clean, honest-to-goodness-toilet-flushing facilities. Unlike when we go to the ocean where we have to haul our backside for what seems like a half a mile over hot, sandy beach at Stinson Beach; or we have to haul our backside back up the cliff to the parking lot at Bodega Bay. In either case, the "facilities" - and I use the term loosely - are little more than glorified outhouses. Oh sure, at least there's a place to park your butt, but there is no flushing involved.

Anyway, Lake Tahoe is not the ocean, but it's quickly becoming a family favorite. My youngest son is a total water bug, and after about 15 minutes of complaining he settled right in. (Fortunately, we packed extra clothes for him just in case.) My oldest son likes to wander off and look for rocks. He enjoys the chance to go off and explore, which is fine with me. With one kid happily playing in the water and the other kid happily exploring, it made for one relaxing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...