Monday, September 19, 2011

Unsolicited Weight Loss Advice

As I mentioned before, I enjoy reading weight loss success stories and advice. Even if the advice tips aren't something I would do, I still enjoy reading about what has worked for others. Most of the advice that I've found helpful has centered on changing my habits and attitudes. So today I thought I would share with you some unsolicited advice that I've found to be helpful if you're on a weight loss journey.

Don't diet
With the possible exception of a supervised medical weight loss program, honestly, don't try the latest diet unless you're willing to do it for the rest of your life. Find a weight loss approach that you can adopt as a permanent lifestyle change not a temporary fix.

Exercise
Our bodies were made to move, so get moving.

Don't be afraid to ask for help
Whether you ask your doctor, a family member, a friend, or God, having another person to encourage you will be a great motivator.

Don't compare yourself to others
Is your friend or co-worker losing weight faster than you are? Are there more fit and trim people at the gym? So what. You're not competing in a race; you're on a journey to better health. Your road to better health will have different bumps, detours, and straightaways.

Look forward not backward
Were you 50lbs lighter in college? Did you overindulge in your previous meal? The past is the past. It's done. It's over with. Forgive yourself, learn from your mistakes and move on. Get right back on plan starting with the next meal. Keep your end goal in focus.

Motivate yourself continually
Other people or ideas may inspire you, but only you can motivate yourself. Having a goal weight or a dress size in mind is a good motivator. However, I'm also talking about the little things like a star on the calendar every time you lose 5lbs, or monthly pictures or measurements of your progress. Whatever. You will need lots of little motivators to help you along the way, because I guarantee that you will encounter setbacks.

Good luck with your journey!

2 comments:

  1. the one I alwasy remember is don't diet!! make the forever change. =) great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't diet" is the one I always had trouble with. I think I've got it now. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...